Nate Diaz Agrees To Fight Tyron Woodley For Welterweight Title
UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley has been campaigning for a fight for the last week, but seemingly refuses to entertain the idea of stepping into the cage with either of the current threats to his title, number 3 ranked Colby Covington or number 2 ranked former UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos.
The UFC had expressed an interest in booking a bout between Woodley and popular UFC lightweight Nate Diaz back in December of 2017, with the welterweight champion latching onto the idea and campaigning heavily for the bout on social media.
Some fans saw this as Woodley attempting to secure a “money fight”. Diaz seemed disinterested at the time, and so Woodley decided to take time off to get a much-needed shoulder surgery performed.
Ufc offered me title fight in any weight class Im kool though I'll givem a shot when they do something good
On to the next sport for now 🥊🥊
— Nathan Diaz (@NateDiaz209) December 9, 2017
Diaz posted on social media in late January that he would like to return to the Octagon, saying he was tired of waiting for a fight and that there was “no excitement” in the UFC right now. He declared he would be trying to return in May or June, but it now seems like he may be returning to the cage sooner than expected, with Nate Diaz confirming his interest in fighting Tyron Woodley.
“I’m getting to the point where I’m sick of not fighting. I’m not getting any younger,” Diaz told ESPN in an interview. “I put that tweet out saying I wanted to fight in May or June, but I didn’t say who because I was weighing my options. And now, Woodley is my best option.
“I see him on TMZ every week, talking about me. I’m like, ‘What the f—? If that’s what you want to do.’ It’s not really my weight class, but I’m with it. I think it’s my title we’re fighting for. If he’s the one calling me out, whose title are we fighting for? Who’s the real champion here?”
So where and when could Diaz be targetting his return for? UFC 226 on July 7th is certainly on the cards for the Stockton native.
“I’d like a good two or three-month camp,” Diaz said. “We’ll figure it out. There’s definitely going to be something. I’m trying to fight.”
Diaz and Woodley have both said the UFC was interested in booking a bout between the two men for December of 2017, though UFC president Dana White has attempted to shut down these claims.
“They called me out of nowhere, when I wasn’t trying to fight nobody,” Diaz said. “They asked if I would fight Woodley and I said, “Well, I’d like a three-month camp.’
“I told them I’d fight him on shorter notice, but would send them what I wanted in the contract. It was nothing out of the norm. My boxing coach said something about $15 million in an interview, but that was never the number.
“Then I saw in the media, the UFC said they never approached me about it. I was like, ‘F*ck it then. I wasn’t the one asking for the fight.'”
A third bout between UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor and Diaz could also have been in the UFC’s plans, but Diaz has left that option up in the air for now. The popular Irish mixed martial artist has not stepped into the cage since winning his belt in November of 2016, having only fought once last year in a boxing match against Floyd “Money” Mayweather.
“He’s just living his life right now and he’s got a magnifying glass on him, whatever he’s doing,” Diaz said. “I don’t give a f— what he does.
“I’m sure he’s up and down. ‘Do I want to be in these lights? Why am I not in these lights? I need to get in the lights. I need to get out of the lights.’ It’s a crazy roller coaster.”