We woke to the news from Bad Left Hook reporter Will Escow this morning that Gennady Golovkin has already begun to cut down to 154lbs for a potential super fight with Floyd Mayweather.
GGG’s trainer, Abel Sanchez, has reportedly told WBN that Golovkin can safely make the weight if he’s given enough time to prepare, so instead of just sitting around waiting, GGG has decided to take the initiative and prepare as if the fight with Floyd was a done deal. GGG is also to have said that he’s accepted a proposed rehydration clause mentioned by Mayweather Sr. just to make the Mayweather fight happen.
Floyd has been playing coy with the media for some time on who his final opponent might be, claiming to be 100% serious about fighting either Karim Mayfield or Andre Berto.
Nobody is really buying these claims however…. after all, his moniker is “money”, and a fight with either of these opponents would undoubtably be a flop.
Floyd has also been on the record as saying he has seen what GGG can do, and still feels he has him covered:
“I had a chance to see him fight Willie Monroe Jr. He done what he had to do, but even with me being at my weight, I’m just too smart” he said.
Even more exciting than the news of GGG’s weight cut is what might happen afterwards. As we reported earlier this week, if Floyd Mayweather agrees to fight GGG in September, Oscar De La Hoya is on the record as saying he would fight the winner next year.
The only possible way I make a comeback, @FloydMayweather vs GGG in September and I fight the winner next year.
— Oscar De La Hoya (@OscarDeLaHoya) June 22, 2015
I’ll say it again, this all seems like a bit of a long shot, but this reporter is unashamedly desperate for it all to come true!
In case you have forgotten why everyone is so excited for Floyd to face GGG, take a look at this: