Former UFC middleweight and welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has finally shed some light on those pesky rumours that he will be moving down to take on the UFC’s lightweight division in his next octagon appearance and that he may face Nate Diaz when he does so.
Rumours of the Canadian superstar moving down to lightweight have been rife after he announced his intention to continue fighting despite complications with ulcerative colitis. He had previously returned to the cage to take on Michael Bisping for the middleweight championship, defeating Bisping in the third round by submission at UFC 217. St-Pierre had returned after a nearly four-year hiatus following his controversial victory over Johny “Bigg Rigg” Hendricks at UFC 167 on November 16, 2013.
Appearing on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast, “Rush” said that he wanted to be involved in a high-level bout before he gets any older.
“I just turned 37 a few days ago. I don’t have much left,” he explained. “For what I have left, I want to make the big fight. The fight that fans want to see. I also want personally for me to achieve something that is unique, that is rare. That may be never been attempted before. That would be something that excites me.”
“They offer me, Nate Diaz, now. There was a rumour, they said it was a done deal. Not on my part. And I don’t think it was on Nate Diaz’s part as well.
Diaz has often been trotted out as a potential opponent, not just for St-Pierre, but also for welterweight champion Tyron Woodley, who has been pursuing “money fights” ever since he began his tenure at the top of the welterweight division. A highly sought after opponent following his second round jiu-jitsu decimation of Conor McGregor at UFC 196 in the first of their two fights, Nate Diaz is the younger brother of popular welterweight Nick Diaz, who had previously fought and lost to St-Pierre at UFC 158.
“Nate Diaz is an incredible fighter, very well rounded,” St-Pierre continued. “However, if you put yourself in my shoes, there is nothing good that can come out of it except money. And money is not the only thing that drives me.”
“If I beat Nate Diaz decisively, most people will say, ‘Oh, he took an easy fight. Oh, he’s a bully.’ (Diaz) is a big guy. He’s about the same size as me, but because I compete at 170 for most of my career (and Diaz has fought mostly at 155), it will make me look bad. It will make me look like a bully. That’s if I win decisively. If I win, not decisively, it’s a war back and forth, ‘ahh, he sucks.’ And if I get beat, oh my god, forget it. It’s the end of the world.”
“I considered it. However, I analyze it, I talk with Firas (Zahabi), with my trainer and everybody, we’re all on the same page on that (fight). It’s not worth it.”
A shame, to be sure, that mixed martial arts fans will never get to see Georges St-Pierre showdown with his former nemesis’ Nick Diaz’ younger brother, but you never know, maybe St-Pierre has already secured a bigger name… like Conor McGregor.
What do you think? Let us know your opinions in the comments below!