Gennady Golovkin Has a New Opponent to Replace Canelo Alvarez
After a controversial judge’s decision that led to a draw verdict in September 2017, a rematch has been slated for middleweight champions Gennady Golovkin and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. All of those plans were forced to be scrapped, however, when Alvarez tested positive in early March for banned substance Clenbuterol.
Like all performance enhancing drug-related cases in combat sports, the erring party which in this case is Canelo received a lot of flak from fans and fighters alike. From his end, Alvarez and his camp denied the blatant use of PEDs and attributed the failed drug test result to some “contaminated meat” he previously ate.
Of course, Golovkin also had his opinions on the matter, and he did not mince his words at all.
“Again with Mexican meat? Come on,” Golovkin told media members in a press conference (via the Guardian). “I told you, it’s not Mexican meat. This is Canelo. This is his team. This is his promotion.
“Canelo is cheating. They’re using these drugs, and everybody is just trying to pretend it’s not happening.”
On Wednesday, it was reported that Canelo will now be slapped with a six-month suspension because of this infraction. Since the date of the drug test in question happened on February 17th, it will retroactive from the said date, and should lapse by August.
This is why Team Canelo is already readying themselves for the fighter’s comeback in September.
“Canelo looks forward to returning to the ring in September for Mexican Independence Day weekend to represent Mexico and boxing in what will be the sport’s biggest event of the year,” Golden Boy Promotions said in an official statement (via USA Today). “He is ready to continue his remarkable record of fighting at the highest level.”
In line with these developments, the Golovkin camp will also be moving forward with a new opponent to replace Alvarez. According to a report by BoxingNewsOnline, the 36-year-old undefeated Kazakh fighter will now face two-time light middleweight title challenger Vanes Martirosyan on May 5th.
The 31-year-old Martirosyan (36-3, with 21 victories by knockout), began his first 32 fights as an undefeated fighter. He inched his way towards world title contention, and eventually got his chance when he was slated to face Demetrious Andrade for the then-vacant WBO light middleweight title. Martirosyan, however, lost via split decision.
The Armenian fighter last fought in May 2016, where he lost to Erislandy Lara, and once again failed to capture the WBA and IBO world titles.
Sorry, the video you have requested is no longer available
Golovkin vs. Martirosyan will take place at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.