Earlier today we broke the shocking news that Conor McGregor has announced his retirement.
“I’ve decided to retire young,” McGregor said. “Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya’s later.”
I have decided to retire young.
Thanks for the cheese.
Catch ya's later.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 19, 2016
The cryptic message left fans wondering “WHY”, “HOW”, “WHEN”.
Shortly after, the UFC announced that Conor will no longer be taking part at UFC 200.
— UFC (@ufc) April 19, 2016
UFC President Dana White just spoke with ESPN’s SportsCenter to clarify why McGregor had been pulled from what is the biggest UFC card in history… And it appears as though a rift between McGregor and Dana White is the true reason behind the bizarre retirement message.
White confirmed that McGregor had been removed from the UFC 200 card because he refused to turn up to a press conference in Vegas this week, to help promote the massive card.
“Obviously we still have a good relationship with Conor,” White said. “I respect Conor as a fighter and I like him as a person. But you can’t decide not to show up to these things. You have to do it.”
White then went on to explain that McGregor didn’t want to attend the press conference, because he was busy training in Iceland and didn’t want to ruin his preparation for his fight with Nate Diaz on July 9.
Attention has now been turned to what happens at UFC 200. White confirmed Nate Diaz is flying into Vegas so they can discuss who his next opponent will be. He also confirmed that ANOTHER fight will be added to the card.
Full interview with Dana White can be seen here:
Stay tuned for more shortly.