Top Irish Crime Reporter Claims McGregor Is In ‘Very, Very Serious Danger’
UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor’s life could be in danger according to well known Irish crime reporter Paul Williams, following a brawl in the Black Forge Inn in south Dublin over the weekend involving McGregor and a number of men connected to the Kinahan gang.
Irish social media was abuzz earlier this week that McGregor had allegedly gotten into a brawl with a number of men in the Black Forge Inn, including a man aged in his 50’s who was connected to convicted drug baron Graham “The Wig” Whelan.
Williams, a veteran journalist in the Irish media commented on the rumours while appearing on the radio show Newstalk Breakfast, which he co-hosts.
“I just want to make a comment about this,” said Williams. “This is really serious, and I’m wearing my old veteran crime reporter hat here. Conor McGregor is potentially in very, very serious danger – I’ve heard that from my sources, and just looking at the lay of the land currently.”
“I think it’s incredibly unprecedented.”
“He has ended up crossing swords, accidentally or whatever, with some very heavy people. Or some people who are related to some very, very heavy people that could pose a serious threat to his safety and maybe even his life – and I don’t say that lightly,” Williams continued, before noting that the man in his 50’s who had been punched had never been directly involved in any crimes.
“And I think it’s unprecedented that an international sporting icon could be found to be dragged down by organized crime in this country.
“And these people, you have to remember – as I keep saying – they don’t care, they don’t have parameters, they don’t have boundaries, they don’t discriminate between whether you’re an international sporting icon or just a man on the street. They shoot you, they injure you, they do whatever they want to do.
“I think it’s extraordinary. And I think in the next 24-48 hours, I believe that An Garda Síochána will be approaching Conor McGregor and saying to him, ‘By the way, we just want to officially inform you that potentially your safety is at risk.’
“I think it’s an extraordinary state of affairs. And watch this space.”
During a media event on Tuesday, UFC president Dana White revealed he hadn’t spoken to McGregor or anyone from his camp about the alleged incident, initially believing it to be untrue.
“I don’t think it’s true,” White said. “Because if it was true, it would be big. Conor can walk down the street and it’s big news now. If this was true, I just have to believe it would be off-the-charts crazy.”
“If it’s true, we’ll end up finding out. I can’t chase all these things around. If they’re true, we’ll get it figured out and we’ll go from there,” he continued.
“I’m sure it can be worked out, too. Jake LaMotta’s brother beat the shit out of a wise guy, too, and they figured it out.”