Dana White Gives Conor McGregor And Floyd Mayweather An Ultimatum
UFC President Dana White has announced that he is not willing to wait much longer for the much-anticipated super fight between Conor McGregor and veteran boxer Floyd Mayweather to be negotiated.
White has confirmed that if McGregor and his team are unable to agree to the bout by Sunday at latest then he will be moving on from the matchup. He has said that if McGregor’s side is able to be negotiated then he will continue his conversations with Team Mayweather and try to get the fight done.
“I plan on having this thing locked up by this Sunday and then moving on to Team Mayweather and start to negotiate with them,” said White during an interview on “The Jim Rome Show” on CBS Sports Radio. “If we really do get it done in that timeframe, then this thing could possibly happen. Again, I still have to go negotiate with them. There’s no guarantee that we’re going to come to a deal.”
Rumours of a super fight between the two combat sports stars have rumbled since November 2016, when McGregor knocked out lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 in New York, cementing him as the UFC’s first simultaneous title holder.
The Irishman later confirmed he would not be fighting until the birth of his first child, which took place this week. Unfortunately, the targeted date for the super fight was September 16th, which has now been taken over by another high profile bout between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady “GGG” Golovkin.
“That was the date we were shooting for,” White said. “I was doing an interview earlier and they said, ‘Well the MGM says you hadn’t held the date.’ We hadn’t – we hadn’t held the date. But that’s the date we were shooting for. … I didn’t see any big fights coming up that we couldn’t have took the date from if they ended up with that date.
“Then they come up with Canelo and ‘GGG,’ which is a real fight. That’s a fight I’ll actually buy tickets for and go to myself. So, yeah, life waits for nobody. We should have moved faster, we should have moved further along in the negotiations, and it’s our own fault.”
While it definitely seems like the countdown is on for the fight to be finalised, White definitely thinks the fight has a good chance of being made.
“I think (the chances of a deal with McGregor) are pretty good,” White said. “Hopefully Monday I’m going to sit down and negotiate with Team Mayweather. I just can’t keep messing with this thing. I have to run my business and I have to focus on all the other things that are going on around here.”
Do you think it will happen? Let us know in the comments!